The last month has been busy.
Rob, Rachel and their boys came down the weekend of the 11th and what a weekend it was. Rob and I shared our birthday celebrations over some rad food adventures. Rob had a strong list of foods he wanted to try while he was here and I loved every one of his ideas. So we went with and off his list. And the girls were relieved not to worry about cooking =). A sampling of our conquests (Rob, chime in if I've missed something) :
- Pok Pok. Um, yes. If you haven't tried this place (related to the restaurant Ping), go. Go as soon as possible. Asian cuisine. And they have fantastic drinking vinegars. Sounds odd but they are goo-oood.
- Cheesecake Factory. For dessert. 'nough said.
- Sterling Coffee. Local roaster. Their cafe is next to Trader Joes up on 21st and Glisan.
- A birthday weekend wouldn't be complete without donuts from VooDoo. We had some buttermilk bars, Ol' Dirty Bastards (simple glazed donut with crumpled oreos on top drizzled with peanut butter) and a Memphis Mafia fritter (think the Dirty Bastard but with an apple fritter). Yes.
- Barista. They are a touch more expensive than Stumptown cafes but oh so worth it. Mochas with dark chocolate.
- PB&Js Grilled. Rob and Rachel's first experience with one of Jeanne's and my favorite food carts. A previous post of mine on the cart.
I think you all know that I run. Over the last year or so I've become pretty serious about it, enough to be consistently running 5 miles 4 to 5 times a week. Ironically running isn't something I find completely enjoyable by itself. Being in shape and healthy has always been important to me so stepping up the running regime was something I anticipated to be an eventuality for myself as I get older. But there are two things I have found that I do enjoy about running. First is the time it gives me one on one with the Lord in conversation and prayer. And second it gives me the ability to run in events such as the Hood to Coast last summer and most recently the Shamrock Run. How and why do I enjoy running races if I don't like running itself? Hmm, I don't know. I just do. I get cool shirts. Maybe that's why. I'm hopeful that I can participate in Hood to Coast again this summer and in the PDX marathon later this Fall. I guess there is a third thing I enjoy as a result of running. Jeanne digs the leg muscles.
The 25th marked Jeanne's and my 11th wedding anniversary. 11 years gone by way too fast. We left Daylon with Grandma for a night as Jeanne and I took off for the Skamania Lodge in Stevenson, Washington. The lodge is settled on a ridge above the Columbia River. The photo to the left doesn't do justice to the wonderful view the lodge provides. We really didn't do much except relax. We relaxed, ate some food, played some board games, relaxed some more, watched Cake Boss and slept. Grandma, thanks for watching our little man. And Jeanne. I love you. You are more beautiful to me every day. How could you possibly be with me? The Lord. All the Lord.
And finally, Daylon. He's getting so big. Coming up on 2 years old already!? Him and I go on walks often and if the weather permits we'll head down to the playground area by our home for some swinging and climbing on the Jungle Jim. We did so a few days ago, and as you can see from the video Daylon is swinging on his own (with super parental oversight of course). He was a little anxious but had fun!
No comments:
Post a Comment